Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
missing extension and bookmark icon tooltips
I remember text tooltips used to popup on mouse hover, but they stopped appearing as of a few months ago, I think. Specifically, I'm interested in the tooltips while hovering over the extension icons (in the extensions bar to the right of address bar) and the favicons of bookmarked pages in the bookmarks bar (below the address bar). 
Can they be brought back somehow?
Have you changed any options in chrome://settings/cbBookmarks?
And try disabling hardware acceleration.
(05-28-2021, 05:14 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Have you changed any options in chrome://settings/cbBookmarks?
And try disabling hardware acceleration.

thx for the reply, yeah I just tried those things, problem still exists...

Ok, since I wrote my original post, I spent some more time on the issue and... it's much weirder than I thought.
It turns out that there are cases where the tooltip does appear, but it's completely random.
If I hover my cursor over an addon or bookmark icon, a tooltip may either not appear, appear but then instantly disappear or not appear but appear after random number of seconds, there's no seeming pattern. When I turned off hardware acceleration, tooltips completely stopped appearing, so I turned it back on.

I don't see what could be causing the problem, but it has the same behavior as with a graphics conflict, like when another program would be using the same render layer and interrupting the drawing of the tooltips. I guess the next step is to reboot my PC with all startup programs turned off and just run Cent.
(05-28-2021, 05:58 PM)drhouse Wrote: thx for the reply, yeah I just tried those things, problem still exists...

Ok, since I wrote my original post, I spent some more time on the issue and... it's much weirder than I thought.
It turns out that there are cases where the tooltip does appear, but it's completely random.
If I hover my cursor over an addon or bookmark icon, a tooltip may either not appear, appear but then instantly disappear or not appear but appear after random number of seconds, there's no seeming pattern. When I turned off hardware acceleration, tooltips completely stopped appearing, so I turned it back on.

I don't see what could be causing the problem, but it has the same behavior as with a graphics conflict, like when another program would be using the same render layer and interrupting the drawing of the tooltips. I guess the next step is to reboot my PC with all startup programs turned off and just run Cent.
Yes, maybe another hidden program was always taking away your input focus.
Have you tried the browser's safe mode?
(05-30-2021, 02:23 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Yes, maybe another hidden program was always taking away your input focus.
Have you tried the browser's safe mode?

Finally, the problem was fixed.

I ran Cent in safe mode, still had the problem
I disabled all Startup programs and rebooted... the tooltips appeared like normal
So, I went one by one through the list (20 programs)
the culprit was... Cleanmem.exe, which I'd never have guessed... it's tiny, it just has a systray icon, which seems to cause conflict
I replaced it with another free memory optimizer and tooltips work
(05-30-2021, 04:44 PM)drhouse Wrote: Finally, the problem was fixed.

I ran Cent in safe mode, still had the problem
I disabled all Startup programs and rebooted... the tooltips appeared like normal
So, I went one by one through the list (20 programs)
the culprit was... Cleanmem.exe, which I'd never have guessed... it's tiny, it just has a systray icon, which seems to cause conflict
I replaced it with another free memory optimizer and tooltips work
Glad to hear that!