Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrong font
(07-01-2020, 03:36 AM)shaftenberg Wrote: No, not on Windows 7.
Win 7 is unusuable if you enable Cleartype, this is horrible for working.

As PavelX said, it looks like crap Biggrin
I'm a pixel peeper, I work with graphics and video, that's why I need a system without bad smeary rendering.

All the years the browsers rendered the webfonts by itself. This was fine until Chrome decided to enable DirectWrite. That's why I (at least and I think I speak for many users when you search the web) am sticking with old Chrome v51 and Cent 4.0.9, where we can disable DirectWrite.
But as I said, disabling DW in the last Cent versions doesn't help anymore.

EDIT: Here is a small screenshot to give you an idea how "good" rendering looks like on my system Smile
It is really bad.
However on our side, the bad effect is similar to disabling ClearType and the fonts are shown smoothly when ClearType is enabled.
Have you tried adjusting the system fonts again with "cttune"(WIN+R)?
(07-01-2020, 04:25 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Have you tried adjusting the system fonts again with "cttune"(WIN+R)?

This doubles the mess.
Maybe this is better with Win10, don't know, but at least with Win7 you can forget Cleartype especially with smaller fonts. And with "small" I mean 12px

The rendering in the browsers was miles ahead of this before DirectWrite came in place. And, and that is the important point, the browsers didn't touch the system fonts like Arial etc.

Anyway.
At least you know that there was something going on in Chromium above v74
If you can't fix it or can't re-establish, that's not your fault. I'm thankful enough that I have a quite up-to-date browser with Cent 4.0.9 (Chromium v74)
So yeah, thank you Smile
(07-01-2020, 11:51 PM)shaftenberg Wrote: This doubles the mess.
Maybe this is better with Win10, don't know, but at least with Win7 you can forget Cleartype especially with smaller fonts. And with "small" I mean 12px

The rendering in the browsers was miles ahead of this before DirectWrite came in place. And, and that is the important point, the browsers didn't touch the system fonts like Arial etc.

Anyway.
At least you know that there was something going on in Chromium above v74
If you can't fix it or can't re-establish, that's not your fault. I'm thankful enough that I have a quite up-to-date browser with Cent 4.0.9 (Chromium v74)
So yeah, thank you Smile
We will try to change something in the next version, you can check if the problem has been improved by then.
(07-02-2020, 04:23 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: We will try to change something in the next version, you can check if the problem has been improved by then.
I will do and if you want, I'll report the result.
Thanks for your efforts!
I also have Windows 7 with anti-aliasing switched off as it looks very blurry. After upgrading to 4.2.10.171 from 4.0.9.112 I noticed that all Youtube fonts in comments became regular fonts, without even bold text for user names. I disabled chrome://flags/#font-src-local-matching and it helped. It seems it looks the same as it was before. Need to check other sites to see if everything is ok.

Thank you for a good program and fast replies.