Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After a while the browser starts to lag
After about 5-6 months the portable version of the browser starts to work less stable:
Immediately after launch, the browser does not respond to anything for 10 seconds;
Memory consumption increases;
After unloading all pages, the browser consumes ~1200MB, and if you restart it - ~800MB, although earlier after unloading all pages, the consumption was ~800MB

The last time (a year ago) it was the same, and I needed to "reinstall" the browser, now the situation has repeated itself. 
Maybe I need to clean up some folder that's clogged?
You can try deleting all folders(not files) under "User Data\Default", except "Extensions", "Extension Rules" and "Extension State".
And it is recommended that you delete "History" and "History-journal" as well.
History always gets corrupted when it becomes too big.
After that you can press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to clear browsing data again.
(09-03-2020, 04:18 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: You can try deleting all folders(not files) under "User Data\Default", except "Extensions", "Extension Rules" and "Extension State".
And it is recommended that you delete "History" and "History-journal" as well.
History always gets corrupted when it becomes too big.
After that you can press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to clear browsing data again.

Yep, deleting site history (58k) and download history (5k) solved the problem
Heh

(09-03-2020, 04:59 PM)ARRA Wrote: Yep, deleting site history (58k) and download history (5k) solved the problem
Heh

Maybe we need to automatically delete history that is more than 2 months old?
(09-03-2020, 04:59 PM)ARRA Wrote: Yep, deleting site history (58k) and download history (5k) solved the problem
Heh

Maybe we need to automatically delete history that is more than 2 months old?
Chromium only keeps History for 3 months by default.
Older History will be deleted automatically.
Maybe the file size is not real reason, it is possible that this file gets partially corrupted.
I think there is a bug in Chromium that can easily corrupts History database.
And what anti-virus are you using?
(09-04-2020, 04:09 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Chromium only keeps History for 3 months by default.
Older History will be deleted automatically.
Maybe the file size is not real reason, it is possible that this file gets partially corrupted.
I think there is a bug in Chromium that can easily corrupts History database.
And what anti-virus are you using?

I don't use antivirus, the built-in antivirus from Windows is also disabled. I can no longer see the date of the last entry in history, but I doubt that I downloaded 5000 files in 3 months. Was there any way I could turn off automatic cleaning?
(09-04-2020, 04:18 PM)ARRA Wrote: I don't use antivirus, the built-in antivirus from Windows is also disabled. I can no longer see the date of the last entry in history, but I doubt that I downloaded 5000 files in 3 months. Was there any way I could turn off automatic cleaning?
No, the 3 months limitation is hard coded in Chromium.
There is some discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments...r_then_90/

Are you using Google account sync?
Maybe the download records contain the records from other computers.
By the way, have you ever shut down your computer abnormally?
(09-04-2020, 04:35 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: No, the 3 months limitation is hard coded in Chromium.
There is some discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments...r_then_90/

Are you using Google account sync?
Maybe the download records contain the records from other computers.
By the way, have you ever shut down your computer abnormally?

Yes, full sync, but I only use one computer.
And yes, there were abnormally shutdowns when I was overclocking, but the browser did not start lagging after that. Last time (about a year ago), he also lagged, but I don't remember abnormally shutdowns.
Again, clearing the history solved the lag problem, so I doubt that the problem is in the corrupted file.
(09-04-2020, 04:46 PM)ARRA Wrote: Yes, full sync, but I only use one computer.
And yes, there were abnormally shutdowns when I was overclocking, but the browser did not start lagging after that. Last time (about a year ago), he also lagged, but I don't remember abnormally shutdowns.
Again, clearing the history solved the lag problem, so I doubt that the problem is in the corrupted file.
Yes, this may be a Chromium bug.
Next time you can send us the "History" file for analysis if convenient.
(09-05-2020, 04:02 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Yes, this may be a Chromium bug.
Next time you can send us the "History" file for analysis if convenient.

I think you can increase the size of the history file by adding several thousand records to it, if this file can be edited. And run tests with this heavy file
(09-05-2020, 05:28 PM)ARRA Wrote: I think you can increase the size of the history file by adding several thousand records to it, if this file can be edited. And run tests with this heavy file
We have tested 30M "History" file but can't reproduce this issue.
So we believe that this issue is not only related to file size.