Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Free Printable Coloring Pages for Mood-Based Coloring
#1
Free printable coloring pages are my go-to whenever I need a simple, relaxing way to unwind. On some days I feel like drawing something colorful and playful. On other days I need to find an image that is simple enough, with large areas and just a few details. When I used to choose a coloring image, age and theme were my primary concern. Not anymore. Now, I consider how I feel at the moment much more. This little detail has changed my attitude towards coloring images. That's exactly why I created Free Printable Coloring Pages at ColoringPagesCreative — to give people options that actually match their mood. Most of the time, my mood is a better indicator than the category itself.

1. I Start With How I Feel Before I Choose a Page


Before I even open a coloring page, I check in with how I'm feeling. At times I feel like doing something easier so I can get started quickly. Other times I'm up for spending more time with an image that has many details.

[Image: free-coloring-sheets1.jpg]

Sometimes I want to do something simpler so I can start right away

1.1 Some Days Call for Simple Shapes

Then there are some days when I just want to get started without thinking through a number of things. On such days, I pick a drawing that has a single subject along with a few large areas to color.

What I love about these pages is the fact that I can simply begin coloring at once. I pick a crayon and start filling in the large area right away. Such pages are very helpful for me when I am too busy and do not have much time to color. I can just color for a while and pick it up again later. There is no need to complete the entire page in one sitting.

1.2 Other Days Make Me Want More Detail

Other days make me want a picture with more to dig into. I may choose a castle, a garden, a city scene, or a fantasy picture. These pages have smaller areas and lots of objects. They also give me more chances to mix different colors.

In other words, I don't think age should determine how much detail someone prefers in a picture. For instance, a child might be attracted to a highly detailed image simply because the topic is appealing to them. Similarly, an adult may prefer to look at an image containing only large objects that appeal to them at that particular moment. I feel the same way myself, and honestly, my own preferences shift all the time. After I figure out what level of detail is right for me, I consider the topic of the particular page. This applies whether you're drawn to coloring pages for kids or adult coloring pages.

2. I Match Different Motifs to Different Moods

The type of picture determines the approach that I choose when it comes to coloring. If the picture is dynamic and full of life, I immediately start thinking about motion and vivid colors. If it is calm, it allows me more time to create the image.

2.1 Playful Moods Lead Me Toward Lively Scenes

When I feel playful, I usually pick a picture with a bit of action going on. I may choose:
  • A jumping puppy
  • Party animals
  • Racing cars
  • Flying dragons
  • A carnival scene

These pictures already feel full of energy before I add the first color.

These scenes also give me chances to use stronger colors. I may give a dragon bright wings or use bold colors for cars and party decorations.

A smiling animal makes me feel different from a sleeping animal. A character that's doing something, like jumping or waving, makes the picture feel more energetic and fun. I always keep free coloring sheets with different amounts of action in my collection. Having variety helps me choose the right one for how I'm feeling. ColoringPagesCreative has lots of different subjects too. I want people to have lots of choices so they can pick something that feels right for them. You can do the same by keeping a mix of playful pages in your own collection.

2.2 Quiet Moods Make Slower Scenes More Appealing

When I'm feeling calm and peaceful, I typically look for simpler scenes such as:
  • A cat resting by the window
  • A garden in front of a cottage
  • A sleeping fox
  • A boat sailing on the water
  • A path winding through the woods

Although these pictures may contain some cute little details, they don't feel busy or full of movement.

How the picture is organized matters a lot to me. Sometimes, I leave some blank space between the objects or use a limited number of colors. A calm picture should not look boring. After selecting the picture that inspires me, I think about the first color I will use.

3. I Let My First Color Help Shape the Rest of the Page

I used to choose my whole color palette before starting. Sometimes it made coloring feel too planned. Now I usually pick one color first and just see where it goes. This keeps the activity flexible and lets the same picture turn out differently on another day.

[Image: free-coloring-sheets2.jpg]

Before beginning, I used to select my entire color scheme

3.1 I Pick One Color Without Planning the Whole Palette

I usually pick my first color just because it feels right at that moment. I don't always ask myself if the color matches the real object. I simply find an area that looks like a nice place to begin.

I could begin with a blue balloon, a green dragon wing, or maybe an orange flower petal. That first part gives me a good starting point. After I'm done with it, I look at the parts near it and pick a new color. I don't need a bunch of crayons on my table. I only use one color and one section. One color usually makes me think of what color comes next.

3.2 I Change Direction Whenever the Page Feels Different

The first color doesn't lock everything in. I can change direction any time another shade catches my eye. You're free to do the same — nothing says a color has to stay realistic. I may begin with natural colors and then throw in bright purple. I may color a horse blue or make a tree pink when I want things to feel more imaginative.

I like using contrasting colors to keep things fun when a picture starts to feel repetitive. A different color makes one object really stand out. I can also leave a part blank and decide what to do with it later. The drawing stays the same, but a new set of colors can make it look completely different.

4. I Keep a Small Mix of Pages Ready for Different Moments

I get more out of a small set with different designs than a large set of similar pictures. My mood can change from one day to the next. That's why I like having a few directions to choose from. Variety gives me options without making the choice too hard.

[Image: free-coloring-sheets3.jpg]

A cute, fluffy chicken is camped next to a little, triangle tent

4.1 I Save a Few Contrasting Designs

I usually keep a small selection of the types of images I like in my collection:
  • One easy image with many large areas, so I can start right away
  • One humorous animal image, because images with expressive faces make the activity fun
  • One detailed image that gives me smaller parts to work on
  • One fantasy image, because dragons and castles allow for more color variations
  • One image related to nature

Each type of image helps me start in a different way. I keep changing those images over time and can always replace one of them with something else.

4.2 I Choose Again Each Time Instead of Following a Fixed Routine

I don't decide in advance which page comes next. I like to look through the choices again every time I sit down. One day, I might grab the simplest picture in the group. The next day, I might want the one with the most details. Sometimes I go back to a picture I haven't finished yet after a few days. I might also start a whole new picture before I'm even done with an older one. You can probably get the same good results from that freedom if you keep a small, varied collection going.

I think that the set should support the mood rather than dictate it. Free printable coloring sheets allow me to be flexible since I can always have a few types of pictures ready to go. I can choose a picture depending on my mood, the amount of time I have, the color I want, or the subject that interests me first.

I love to share a collection like this since people have different reasons for coloring. Some people choose to start coloring depending on the subject that interests them. Others take note of the level of detail on the page first. There are some who select a color first and build their picture around it. Mood-based coloring allows everyone to do this. All a page needs to do is provide a good starting point. I would like coloring pages to be easy to choose from, relaxing, and enjoyable to return to. ColoringPagesCreative gives me an opportunity to do so while continuing to create printable coloring sheets for different moods, times, and ways of coloring.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Free Printable Coloring Pages for Mood-Based Coloring - by WillieBoykin - 06-26-2019, 01:30 PM
RE: Cent Browser 3.9.2.45 - Error 403 - by Admini - 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)