Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panels feature (suggestion)
Since version 54 chromium developers completely removed panels feature from the browser.

There were many useful extensions that used it such as Picture-in-picture, where you could open any site in floating windows (with mobile view if you wanted) and make it always stay on top in any part of the screen. It was useful for youtube videos, chats, watching streams (for example with EzTwitch extension), voice chatting and so on. In CentBrowser 2.2.9.3* the flag chrome://flags/#enable-panels disappeared and all extensions that used it stoped working. I know that it was an experimental feature and many didn't knew about it. But i found it very useful and now i miss it. Is there any way to bring it back in CentBrowser, maybe even make it one of it's main features?
i guess this explanation from log is exactly for your situation:
"2.Extension panel now become default enabled(the same with Chrome).If you want your extension icons appearing at the end of location bar instead of tool bar, you can add a command line "--extension-action-redesign=0"(without quotes)."
(11-22-2016, 12:26 AM)rey Wrote: i guess this explanation from log is exactly for your situation:
"2.Extension panel now become default enabled(the same with Chrome).If you want your extension icons appearing at the end of location bar instead of tool bar, you can add a command line "--extension-action-redesign=0"(without quotes)."

No, i'm talking about these panels. They work in 2.1.9.50 (64-bit) (Chromium 53.0.2785.143).

Seems they already removed panel related source code from master branch.
So the only way to bring it back is adding those code back, what we worry about is:
People write extensions for Chrome not for us, so the only reason we should keep this feature is to be compatible with some old extensions.
But these extensions may also update themselves and find their own way to solve this issue.
So we need sometime to see their solution.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/iss...?id=467808
(11-23-2016, 03:40 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: Seems they already removed panel related source code from master branch.
So the only way to bring it back is adding those code back, what we worry about is:
People write extensions for Chrome not for us, so the only reason we should keep this feature is to be compatible with some old extensions.
But these extensions may also update themselves and find their own way to solve this issue.
So we need sometime to see their solution.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/iss...?id=467808

Reasonable. I feel a bit pessimistic that someone will find a solution..at least not soon. Panels were a very underrated feature. Chromium devs could find ways to rework it, and support, but not cut...
(11-24-2016, 07:47 PM)Lichtenshtein Wrote: Reasonable. I feel a bit pessimistic that someone will find a solution..at least not soon. Panels were a very underrated feature. Chromium devs could find ways to rework it, and support, but not cut...

There are always things have to do. Chromium/Chrome serves billions of users, different users want different feature.
If they always add/keep features and never cut, Chrome installer may be ten times bigger than now.
(11-25-2016, 06:05 PM)CentBrowser Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 07:47 PM)Lichtenshtein Wrote: Reasonable. I feel a bit pessimistic that someone will find a solution..at least not soon. Panels were a very underrated feature. Chromium devs could find ways to rework it, and support, but not cut...

There are always things have to do. Chromium/Chrome serves billions of users, different users want different feature.
If they always add/keep features and never cut, Chrome installer may be ten times bigger than now.

For several years now browsers became mini-operating systems within the operating system: they consume even more resources, the time we spent in them is more too. Size of the installer - not something that should stop the introduction of new functions. It would be good to have several development branches, branches for different systems (mobile, stationary, etc.). This is the ideal. But everywhere their own objectives, needs, problems, challenges and accordingly - functions and features. In reality, to support something like this for a free product, unfortunately, is almost impossible. Man-hours needed to be payed from something and I understand that. I don't know where you have taken the enthusiasm, but you are one of the few who at least doing and implements something.
(11-25-2016, 07:21 PM)Lichtenshtein Wrote: For several years now browsers became mini-operating systems within the operating system: they consume even more resources, the time we spent in them is more too. Size of the installer - not something that should stop the introduction of new functions. It would be good to have several development branches, branches for different systems (mobile, stationary, etc.). This is the ideal. But everywhere their own objectives, needs, problems, challenges and accordingly - functions and features. In reality, to support something like this for a free product, unfortunately, is almost impossible. Man-hours needed to be payed from something and I understand that. I don't know where you have taken the enthusiasm, but you are one of the few who at least doing and implements something.

We aim to build an easy-to-maintain web browser based on Chromium, so we have to investigate and design each feature carefully to ensure it will not become too time-consuming when we upgrade Chromium core.I think this is needed for small teams.The result is that we may not keep features coupled deeply with Chromium source code.