Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asking About a Possible Memory Leak
I have been using CentBrowser for the last couple of weeks. Really like it. 

Using Slimjet previously (still, for comparison vs CentBrowser).

What I have been noticing is Cent is not as tight on memory as Slimjet is. I've run side by side tests, using each browser. Same extensions (except SJ has 1 more), same exact tabs. Nothing different at all.

Posted screens of each task manager to show at start (after a minute or so of idle after start) and then 100 minutes later (I have other time like 50 min but not needed for the pics).

Bottom line is Slimjet stayed very memory tight, not much change.

CentBrowser was higher to start, then kept climbing.

I think it points to a memory leak but am not sure...hope this makes sense. Ends up Cent is growing over time!

this one is at start

this one is after 100 min.

oh, I also have a pretty standard W7 64 bit, using 32 bit versions of both (noticed the 64 bit much higher in memory initially).

Both programs I have memory optimization "purge memory setting" at 30 minutes.
seems to have come down about 100k (from above numbers after 100 min) after 4 or 5 hours of normal use (not comparing)....so it did tighten up some.
In Advanced settings, you have an option to automatically clean used memory by Cent, did you check it for your tests?
Please compare with Chrome stable, and don't enable Automatic Purge Memory. The Memory Purge feature in Cent is totally different as in Slimjet, so there is nothing to compare.
(11-30-2017, 08:47 AM)SpringsTS Wrote: In Advanced settings, you have an option to automatically clean used memory by Cent, did you check it for your tests?

yes, in my info it is clear I have that feature turned ON. thx

(11-30-2017, 10:59 AM)CentBrowser Wrote: Please compare with Chrome stable, and don't enable Automatic Purge Memory. The Memory Purge feature in Cent is totally different as in Slimjet, so there is nothing to compare.

unfortunately in the past (multiple times), installing chrome, then removing it has caused me problems with associations...so I won't load Chrome. If there is a portable version, I'd consider trying that to test.

I assume you've previously tested for such and are satisfied there is no issue with Cent?

I will deselect the 'purge memory' in Cent. How are they different?

thanks!
(11-30-2017, 11:47 AM)jeffhere Wrote: yes, in my info it is clear I have that feature turned ON. thx

unfortunately in the past (multiple times), installing chrome, then removing it has caused me problems with associations...so I won't load Chrome. If there is a portable version, I'd consider trying that to test.

I assume you've previously tested for such and are satisfied there is no issue with Cent?

I will deselect the 'purge memory' in Cent. How are they different?

thanks!

Please try running Cent Browser with an empty User Data, and then load some tabs in it. And check the memory status. This is a better way to test against memory leak.
I felt my compare was pretty good. Both programs use Chrome/Chromium as basis....and are pointed to the SAME cache on a ramdrive, so on reboot...cache is cleared anyway. I do not clear all user data because then I'd have to be inputting it all again later.

SJ was tight and kept mem usage small. One of the reasons I really like it. Very steady.

Cent was looser for all being the same (in compare, same websites, same everything), you can see how memory usage grows.

Today will run for the whole day and see how Cent performs.

I dont know if a mem leak (thats why I said "possible"). 

I do see Cent mem usage GROW over time.
(11-30-2017, 03:05 PM)jeffhere Wrote: I felt my compare was pretty good. Both programs use Chrome/Chromium as basis....and are pointed to the SAME cache on a ramdrive, so on reboot...cache is cleared anyway. I do not clear all user data because then I'd have to be inputting it all again later.

SJ was tight and kept mem usage small. One of the reasons I really like it. Very steady.

Cent was looser for all being the same (in compare, same websites, same everything), you can see how memory usage grows.

Today will run for the whole day and see how Cent performs.

I dont know if a mem leak (thats why I said "possible"). 

I do see Cent mem usage GROW over time.

You don't need to delete User Data directory.
Just rename it, the browser will generate an empty one automatically.
ok, thx for info! I did as suggested but <b> can't compare versus another browser.</b>

As you know, when removing userdata since you told me, Cent creates new and all from scratch.

So I had to at least load the 3 standard tabs I start with...but now no extensions, etc

The numbers were MUCH worse (assuming since I did not have my adblock extension?). Here's initial info and another screenshot just 2 minutes after, both look pretty bad to me.

after initial start and idle for a couple of minutes.

after 2 min

but what I am noticing on my 'proper' config Cent, is that after an initial upward memory, it seems to settle to about 400-500M total (from initial around 300M).

My question: how are you using your "memory optimization" if not the same as Slimjet's??