Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cent Browser 3.5.3.50(for Windows) Released
(08-04-2018, 04:32 PM)CentBrowser Wrote: This may be caused by gamma change.
https://www.centbrowser.com/forum/showth...76#pid8776

Something like this? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1277404

Is it possible to provide the user a way to configure this, or is it limited to source code only changes?

I find it looks worse and it causes my eyes to react strangely to reading it.

Many other users seem to be reporting they dislike the changes as well.. and are annoyed that Disabling DirectWrite has been problematic ever since the release of 3.1.5.52.

Here's a comparison of how things look on my (older) PaleMoon install:

Aside from some spacing changes, the font renders identically to Cent 3.0.4.29.

And for further comparison, Chrome v51:

Identical.

The sole reason I switched to Cent was because of the ability to disable DirectWrite and keep the same font rendering.  DirectWrite causes me to suffer eye strain trying to read text. No other browser besides Firefox lets you disable DirectWrite (but Firefox is full of a bunch of other issues, and I switched to Pale Moon because of the Australis UI update, so using that wasn't a viable option).

We can't stay on 3.0.4.29 forever; some web stuff is looking for newer Chrome versions and there's improved tech in later versions, so I'm really hoping this stuff can get fixed/improved soon.. it's been nearly 9 months.

Edit: Yeah, suffering compatibility issues saying on this older version. Maybe slightly 'bolder' text isn't as bad as being insecure and incompatible with stuff.. but boy does it suck to look at. Not as bad as directwrite, but meh.
Edit2: No wait, after reviewing my screenshots again there is some clear chromatic aberration issue going on with the 'bolder' rendering. It does look pretty bad and negatively affects my eyes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cent Browser 3.5.3.50(for Windows) Released - by DAOWAce - 08-06-2018, 04:23 AM