Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google announces end of support for Windows 7/8/8.1 - what does this mean for Cent?
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/c...-customers

I have a Windows 10 PC but primarily use Windows 7.  Does this announcement mean Cent will also not receive updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 after January 15, 2023?
Not decided for now.
We may support Win7 one more year.
Any updates on that decision? And thank you.
[ [ [ [ [ [ When you view that Milky Way avatar do you still feel important? ] ] ] ] ]
(03-10-2023, 05:51 AM)Kleen Wrote: Any updates on that decision? And thank you.
As mentioned in #2, we will try to support Win7 for one more year.
The current version of Cent (v5.0.1002.295) is based on Chromium 102.x which still works with Windows 7.  Chromium 110.x and above only work on Windows 10 and higher so I suspect once Cent moves to Chromium versions above 109.x that will end Windows 7 support.
I think what will be needed in a new thread is some discussion of what to do when updates are no longer offered for those that wish to use Windows 7 and the latest Cent version that works with Windows 7. Things get a little murky when support is no longer offered for software, no matter what the purpose of that software might be. And that use of "murky" even seems to apply to Net users who may be above the amateur/beginners status, so it can be even worse for new Net users. I've still got a tower unit at one of my locations that is XP and I have two units at some other locations that still have Vista installed and I even crank them up from time-to-time and use them for practical work on the Net, such as logging into an Online Community. I'm not so sure why I do that, but I do know that I am quite loath to quit using Windows 7 and I know why that is. I'll start using a Linux platform before I start heading down the Windows 10/11 path, for sure. Frankly, I do not trust the road that both Microsoft and Google are presently traveling down.

So information and discussion about what to do with regard to a Cent Browser used on a Windows 7 unit after support is no longer provided might be useful. Of course, that in itself is a form of support, isn't it? And given the answer from the admin it would seem there is a little more time available before an actual thread as noted need be started.

Of course, safety itself is primarily based upon a user's own habits and not getting into trouble due to carelessness. The truth of the matter is that no matter how recent a software is or how secure one may think they are a good hacker can get into a system, no matter what. Government entities are spending a lot of money on training folks to do just that and some very bad governments around the planet are quite good at it. I suppose it should then be stated that safety is a very relative matter. So basic safety does not center primarily on the software itself, but on you, the user.

As for other updates or support that relate to compatibility issues, that is another matter. In fact, the main reason why some people use more than one browser.

But I suspect that all of this type of discussion should go into a different thread. Maybe? Feedback on that thought would be appreciated by myself, for one. Possibly a few other folks out there.
[ [ [ [ [ [ When you view that Milky Way avatar do you still feel important? ] ] ] ] ]