Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep Chrome Refresh 2023 avoidable
This is a suggestion about handling Chrome Refresh 2023 in the future.

Google started to introduce a UI refresh, starting from M115. The change is called "Chrome Refresh 2023". There are many bug reports, UX issues and negative feedback about this change and Google seems to be stubborn enough not to pay attention and force it upon all of its users, like they did with DirectWrite, however this change has already received even more negative feedback. With M125 release, Google is expiring (and later removing) the flags that can disalbe the changes of Chrome Refresh 2023.

Chrome Refresh 2023 is already in latest Cent Browser (now 5.1.1130.82) as it's based on M118 but the feature is turned off by default via flags.

My suggestion is either to keep flags related to Chrome Refresh 2023 or to introduce a configuration option under Settings > Appearance to turn on/off the whole (or parts of this) UI change.

Chrome Refresh 2023 flags
  • #chrome-refresh-2023 Chrome Refresh 2023
  • #chrome-refresh-2023-ntb Chrome Refresh 2023 New Tab Button
  • #chrome-refresh-2023-top-chrome-font Chrome Refresh 2023 Top Chrome Font Style
  • #chrome-webui-refresh-2023 Chrome WebUI Refresh 2023
  • #customize-chrome-side-panel Customize Chrome Side Panel
    This may not be necessary. It's about a bug that if you don't turn this flag to Disabled, Chrome Refresh 2023 flags are all ignored. See: https://issues.chromium.org/issues/330756862

Issues

Issues related to Chrome Refresh 2023, from the Chromium Bug Tracker.

Negative user feedback

Negative feedback from mostly advanced users who suffered a UX degradation because of Chrome Refresh 2023.
Not sure how feasible this will be but I can definitely agree it would be highly desirable to avoid the Chrome 2023 Refresh.
It should be feasible. There are multiple Chromium forks out there which have plans to keep the old UI. Their solutions could be used in the long term.
Do you think this new UI is ugly?
If Chromium remove the related source code from its codebase, it will be very hard to keep the old UI.
The workload is no less than supporting Win7.
I do think the new UI is ugly, but it's not just me. Many complaints have been raised by andvanced users, regarding usability.

I believe that the values of a Chromium fork lie in the differences it can make compared to Google Chrome. Avoiding the Chrome Refresh 2023 is one of these differences.